Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Walnut 19's

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Gerald DiMauro's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2003
    Posts
    54
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi All,
    Just wanted to share with the Altec lovers world that I just bought a gorgeous pair of walnut 19's. They were from the original owner (Hi Robin!) and were kept in immaculate condition. I was actually moved to tears ( no kidding) when I first played them. These are one of the best on earth. Now, what kind of tube amp am I looking for? Can anyone point me in the right direction for a beginner? This is a great board.
    Thanks in advance
    JDM

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Jim Butler's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    121
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    HI JDM,
    Congrats on acquiring a pair of Model 19's. I also have a walnut pair and never tire of listening to them.

    Though I know you are looking for a tube amp (and the 19's efficiency certainly makes low power possible), I have found excellent results using large SS amps in the 200 WPC range. The 19's had a published maximum recommened amplifier range of 350 WPC. The Sansui G9700 I am now using really makes them snap, IMHO.
    JIm Butler

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Gerald DiMauro's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2003
    Posts
    54
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Jim
    Thanks for the info. I too have big Sansui. Not sure of the model at this time. I'm finding out now how they respond. This is a dream come true. Thanks again for your response. Good luck to you!
    JDM
    Gerald DiMauro

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Albert Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    20
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey Dave, it's nice to see you over here too. These guys are "almost" as nice as the guys from the "other" forum don't you think? forums

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Gerald DiMauro's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2003
    Posts
    54
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Dave
    Thanks for your input. I'm going to check out that web site.

    Sincerely
    Gerald

  6. #6
    Inactive Member selmerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2003
    Posts
    384
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    JDM,

    Well, it depends on exactly what kind of sound you're looking for but I would highly recommend what I'm using, a Zen SET amp from decware.

    www.decware.com/tubes.htm

    The "select" model is really worth it (and only $695) but can be had cheaper by buying the base model ($499) and sonically upgrading ($79) to the select as I did. Don't be afraid of low power, my 604's are 16 ohms so I get half the power you would and I get up around 100-105db's no problem. The beauty of sound is well worth it.

    Dave

  7. #7
    Inactive Member scott fitlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 29th, 2003
    Posts
    495
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I would look for a vintage McIntosh! An MC 2200 is a stereo amp with 200wpc, and has a sweet sound!

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Gerald DiMauro's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2003
    Posts
    54
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks, Scotty. Is that something new?
    Gerald

  9. #9
    Inactive Member scott fitlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 29th, 2003
    Posts
    495
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    No. you want a vintage Mc! late 70,s thru early 80,s MC 2200. McIntosh has a sweet sound to it! And ( IMHO ) amps from this era ( the good ones )just seem to work well with older JBL and Altec speakers with horns!

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Gerald DiMauro's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2003
    Posts
    54
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Scotty
    Thanks for your help. I'll add this to things to my "things to check out". forums
    Sincerely
    Gerald

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.